Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Comment for Peter

I don't have any faith in the comments section of blogs. Also, I couldn't comment and sign my name; so I just did this post instead:


I really don't like this trend of calling for the resignation of professors without real reasons. My initial thought was to just post "this is dumb" and walk away; but then I'd be a victim of the blog format as well.

Peter, first off, what happened that made you so furious? You have plenty of space, there's no word limit on the blog; but you still seemed to only hint at a reason for your dissatisfaction with Linda; but then not explain it. I think that's unsatisfactory then you're calling for the resignation of faculty.

Two, I'm more interested in the last half of your post--your own distinctions between sculptural and habitable. I think that this blog is the perfect location for a discussion like this; but you still have to try and make a civil argument given at least the fact that people are going to read your words.

Lets all try to make something nice out of this blog rather than the slander-box that it could become. If you are really unhappy with a professor, maybe I suppose you could call for their resignation; but c'mon, be reasonable and also C'mon let's have fun not blood.

That said, I'd like to throw a word or two into the ring of habitability and sculptural quality...I am certainly wary of a space in a home that cannot be touched or that is too cool for the inhabitants of the home. I say cool specifically because I think that as designers we all have a kind of fetish for the cool of design that needs to be checked every so often. I'm worried about cool since it is a style-based word that has really been losing it's meaning by the minute since the 60's. I think it would be dangerous to make living spaces full of "cool" surfaces cool being mainly a cold exterior surface with no intrinsic meaning. I think there should be a desire to facilitate a range of human emotions within a home and that desire would require a range of materials and spaces that go beyond the distance required for the simply sculptural.

I'd really like there to be more discussion of what types of feelings we as designers should imbue different spaces with; i.e. if there's not a lot of room for cool at home, where can we put it? This kind of talk could be really great.


-Isaac Smith
4th year

3 comments:

Peter Edward Dennis Richards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Edward Dennis Richards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Edward Dennis Richards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.